Make the move from Aperture to Lightroom
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom lets you organize, edit, share, and perfect any image, anywhere. Superior tools give you amazing levels of control to do just about anything — remove objects, reduce noise, correct lens distortion, sharpen images, adjust perspectives, even edit video. And it’s from Adobe, the leader in digital imaging.
Importing all your images from Apple Aperture to Adobe Lightroom is extremely simple and only takes few clicks. This simple migration will give you access to the best professional photo editing application, Lightroom.
As announced by Adobe, we are proud to introduce the Aperture and iPhoto import plugin for Lightroom 5. The plugin allows Aperture and iPhoto customers to migrate their images and key metadata (such as keywords, events, project structure) into Lightroom catalogs in a seamless way.
If you are using Lightroom 5.7 and above, note that the Aperture and iPhoto import plugin is integrated into Lightroom and you do not need to install any plugin. Please ensure that you are using Lightroom 5.7 or later by using the Help->Check for updates menu option in Lightroom 5 then proceed as per image below.
If you are using Lightroom 5.6 or lower, please follow the manual installation instructions below.
- Ensure that you’re using Lightroom 5.6. You can check your Lightroom version by going to Help->System Info inside Lightroom. If not using Lightroom 5.6, please update to the 5.6.
- Download the plugin zip file to a known location (such as your desktop)
- Double click on the downloaded zip file to extract it.
- Navigate to the Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom folder. To do so, use the Go menu item within Finder. Please note that the Library folder is hidden by default and that you will need to hold down the Option/Alt key to make it visible.
- Check to see if there is a Modules folder. If not, please create this folder.
- Copy the extracted aperture_iphoto_importer.lrplugin file to the Modules folder.
- Start Lightroom.
Download link -> aperture_iphoto_importer v1.0.1
Updated Download link -> here
1. Open the Plugin
For Aperture Customers: click on File -> Plugin Extras -> Import from Aperture Library
For iPhoto Customers: Click on File -> Plugin Extras -> Import from iPhoto Library
2. Verify that the Library location is correct.
3. Click on the “Options” button to see additional Options. Here you can select the options that work best with your personal setup.
4. Hit the Import button.
Information that is not imported into Lightroom:
- Image adjustments
- Smart Albums
- Face Tag Region of Interest (face naming tags are mapped to keywords)
- Color Labels (other than optionally as keywords)
- Stacks (other than optionally as keywords)
- Any kind of creation (books, web galleries, etc) other than the collections that correspond to them.